Hey everyone! Yes, it’s me….it’s been a crazy couple of weeks with work, but I wanted to check in and share 37 reasons why I’m happy to be turning 37 on June 7th (tomorrow, today or yesterday — depending on when you’re reading this).
1. I share my birthday with….Prince. How freakin’ cool is that?
2. I was witness to the genius of Lauryn Hill — before she lost her freakin’ mind
3. How can one be unhappy being this…cute?
4. I experienced the Muppet Show when it was originally on the air
5. Whitney Houston wasn’t in rehab when I was a fan
6. I can fondly look back at my elementary and high school years
7. I went to UMass Amherst when it was still a school for working class students
8. You participated in extra-curricular activities because you wanted to — not because you HAD to make your college applications stand out in the crowd
9. New Edition’s music was…..new
10. New Kids on the Block didn’t have to take a break after every song during their concert (sorry, it’s true, I love them….but DAMN)
11. My mom could take me to Fenway for a Red Sox game without having to take out a loan from CCB&T to get the tickets
13. Purple Rain!
14. I remember when gas was a mere 99 cents a gallon (those of you who use to ride to and from Boston and Amherst in Leroy appreciated this)
15. I grew up watching Creature Double Feature and Kung Fu Theater on Saturday afternoons
16. At this age, I have no problem judging stupid people……and trust me, I judge
17. I can afford my own place and it doesn’t look like my college dorm anymore
18. I’ve officially passed the “I know you’re having a white wedding when it’s time” and have moved onto the “You went to City Hall today? Cool!”
19. My philosophy — See Me….Know Me…..Love Me
20. I don’t need to ask permission if I want to go out and play all day
21. I don’t need to ask permission if I want to go to a bar and drink all day
22. I saw Harry Belafonte live…LIVE!
23. Shoot, I KNOW who Harry Belafonte is
24. I experienced school without having to worry about guns, violence, cyber bullying…..or teachers having to teach to a major test
25. I can afford to go to sporting events….and get drunk enough to start stuff — without getting kicked out
26. I remember when the NFL, NBA, & MLB didn’t feel the need to tell us when to cheer and chant — fans were MUCH smarter
27. I’m diggin’ my random grey patch in my hair — especially since it only makes an appearance when the wind blows a certain way….or my tall brother feel the need to point it out
28. My Concert Bucket List is actually being completed
29. I don’t “need” to go out to clubs anymore — an evening chillin’ with friends is enough entertainment for me
30. I can afford to live alone
31. It’s fun when interns look to me for ideas and direction
32. I’m passed the “When are you having kids?” age….well almost, but I think folks are giving up
33. Did someone just mention a vacation? Oh yeah — I can FINALLY go on a real vacation without having to do magical accounting
34. New Jack City!
35. I’m at the age when I can go out by myself and not give a sh*t….well, actually, I never really gave a sh*t
36. When I forget something people don’t immediately blame weed
37. Three more years and it’ll be time for the blow-out 40th Birthday Party!