Hey folks…it’s been forever since I’ve posted a new piece. With my new job — and all the extra work (which is great), I haven’t wanted to look at my computer when I got home, much less write anything.
So…..this is what has been happening the past couple of months:
- Adele’s new album was officially released (PHENOMENAL!)
- Ben Harper announced a new album coming out in May (I will marry him one day)
- Mia has dealt with pneumonia and a little weight gain (no fun at all)
- Spring has started
And…my favorite — the 2011 concert dates and tours are starting to be announced. Below, I have listed who, of the tours I know about, I would like to get tickets. It’s pretty early in the season, so some tickets have not been released, but I have been stalking certain websites. Oh yeah, I’d like to make a plea that Ticketmaster either just disappear totally, stop charging a ridiculous fee — or just add the fee into the ticket prices while you’re looking them up. Nothing like seeing a $30 ticket for a concert and then end up paying $45/50 once all the “convenience” fees are added. Bastards.
Just a quick explanation of my two favorite venues (which will be where the majority of my concerts will be taking place): Wolftrap and The Birchmere. Wolftrap is an outdoor venue that’s run by the National Parks Service. For those of you in Massachusetts, think of a much smaller Greatwoods (or Tweeter-something). Big difference, you can bring your own food and drink (yes, adult bevs) and lawn chairs — and people know how to freakin’ act. I’ve never had a bad concert experience there — rain or shine.
The Birchmere……my heart. It’s a small venue here in Alexandria that draws (are you can see) a great list of acts. It’s general admission, but — unlike the 9:30 Club — one side, where most of the concerts happen, has caberet-style seating. So, when you go in (after getting a number for when you’re called to sit) you find a table to sit down — and then order dinner and drinks. Another venue that I have not had issues with at all. The sound is phenomenal in the place — and the highlight for me is that most artists come out afterwards to take pictures and sign autographs.
This list is in no specific order, sorry:
- Maceo Parker (The Birchmere) — will Prince show up?
- Kindred (The Birchmere) — I’ve seen them multiple times and love their overall vibe. Great people, beautiful music.
- Hall & Oates (Wolftrap) — I will be stalking the Wolftrap website when these tickets go on sale on Saturday.
- Earth, Wind & Fire (Wolftrap) — Saw them last year and had an absolute BLAST
- Sade (MCI Center) — tickets have been purchased. No need to share the reason why I have to go to this concert
- Morris Day & the Time (The Birchmere) — Tickets have been purchase!. Really? REALLY?! I get to see Morris Day and the Muthafuckin’ TIME live? I’ve obviously been a good girl this year
- Eric Benet (The Birchmere) — yeah, he’s a sex addict who messed around on Halle Berry, but he’s got a nice voice.
- The Blind Boys of Alabama (The Birchmere) — I have the album they did with Ben Harper, spiritual experience can’t begin to describe it.
- The Go-Go’s (Wolftrap)
- Dolly Parton (Wolftrap) — come on…a change to see Dolly live? In all her glory…I’m all over this concert
- Sound of Music sing-a-long — yes…..I honestly think this would be hilarious. This was sold out when it was at the Kennedy Center like 7 or 8 years ago, and it hasn’t been back since.
So..there you go — the initial list of summer concerts I will be attending. If you are in the DC area and are planning on going to stuff at Wolftrap or The Birchmere, hit me up — we can go together (cool thing about both these venues, general admission).
See you all…and I’m out!